Get The Way to Happiness
FREE Information Kit & DVD
Set a Good Example Contest
This group of junior high students help to remove graffiti from the walls of their local community as part of their Set a Good Example Contest project.
Enthusiastic students clean up their local park for their Set a Good Example Contest project.
The objective of the Set a Good Example Contest is to provide students a way to get active, to help prevent drug abuse, crime, illiteracy and dropping out, by educating themselves and their peers in standards of right and wrong conduct. Any group of students, a classroom, club or student council from any public, private or parochial elementary, junior high or high school in the United States is invited to enter.
Students participate in the Set a Good Example Contest by doing projects based on any one or all of the 21 precepts found in The Way to Happiness book. The students submit their projects to the Concerned Businessmen's Association of America. These projects are evaluated by a panel of business and community leaders who act as contest judges. The Schools whose projects have been selected as winners received one of three $5000 cash prizes awarded annually to participating elementary, junior high and high schools."
Evaluation of the Set a Good Example Contest In an independent evaluation of the Set a Good Example Contest, the following results were shown:
- 63% of the teachers who signed up for the contest and 85% of those submitting a project for judging noticed a positive change in their students' understanding of moral values.
- 61% of teachers who signed up and 90% of teachers submitting a project noticed a positive change in their students' attitudes.
- 52% of teachers who signed up and 82% of those who submitted a project noticed a positive change in student participation in activities.
- 80.5% of the students reported that they learned something from The Way to Happiness booklet. This included learning the importance of manners, of treating others with respect, of taking responsibility for their actions and of being competent.
- 77% of the students said they used The Way to Happiness in their everyday lives. The uses include increased respect for both oneself and others, respect for the religious beliefs of others and ability to deal with stress. They made decisions not to ruin their lives with drugs or crime, to set a good example for others, to communicate with others, to eat better and to follow the rules.
- 83% of the students and 97% of the teachers reported that they would like to participate again.
The Set a Good Example Contest has been commended seventeen times in the United States Congressional Record."
The Contest has also been commended by 126 members of the United States Senate and House of Representatives.
Lakeshore and Westwood Elementary Schools in Louisiana have been recognized for their actions to stop violence and get drugs off school grounds.
Thomas Jefferson Elementary School, Texas, was commended by Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee for their work in reducing school violence. Senator Richard Lugar commended the work of the Concerned Businessmen's Association's contest, as well as recognizing Arsenal Technical High School. Arsenal students conducted a "Do Not Murder" project which raised students' awareness and participation in creating a safer school and environment.